Beat the butterflies

Show ring nerves are something which I’m sure every rider faces. Whether it’s just your heart beating a little bit faster or feeling like a kaleidoscope of butterflies are dancing around in your stomach it’s important we try and keep them under control…

Easier said than done.

You often hear actors and musicians say that their nerves remind them how much it means to them, that they’d be worried if they didn’t get nervous – it would mean their heart wasn’t in it anymore. We’re performing too when we go into the ring, so if that’s the line they’re taking, that’s what I’m sticking with as well!

As I briefly mentioned before, it took me months to make my first ridden debut. My Mum drove us to countless shows, got both my pony and me ready, only for me to announce moments before the class that I didn’t want to go into the ring. How she didn’t strangle me there and then I’ll never know.

I was eventually convinced to go into the ring and I would say I’ve never really felt like my nerves have limited me since. My parents did, however, go through a phase of trying to convince me to take Rescue Remedy (a child friendly version of a shot of brandy) before I did worker classes but to this day I still argue they were massively over reacting!

I will admit I do get a little nervous before going into the ring though, especially if it’s at a big show or on a new horse. Over the years I’ve found there’s a few things that help to keep everyone relaxed.

Knowing where the line up is likely to be will help you to plan a show

1. Preparation. Red rosettes are won at home, not in the ring. An odd saying you might think but it’s most definitely true. If you’re the most prepared rider in that ring, chances are you’re in with a very good chance.
Practicing lots of different shows at home is a great way of making sure nerves don’t overcome you in the ring. I find that having three or four different shows up my sleeve, especially one with a walk up and trot back towards the judge, means I’m much less likely to be thrown off guard if my usual show doesn’t work in that particular ring, or if the judge asks for something different.

2. Allow plenty of time. There is nothing worse than having to rush getting ready - it puts you on edge before you’ve even started. Trying to anticipate what time your class is going to be can be a real nightmare but I usually work on each class taking 30 minutes and work out a rough timetable from there.

3. Suss out the ring. This is one of the first things I do when I get to the showground. It’s important to get your bearings and find out where your ring is, how big it is and if there’s any potential distractions nearby. I also spend some time watching another class in that ring to see where the judge is lining the ponies up and if they’re asking for a specific show – all things which help you to be as prepared as possible.

4. Relax your hands. Tenseness passes straight down the reins to the horse’s mouth so it’s really important to try and keep ‘soft’ hands. If you’re hands and arms stay nice and relaxed you instill confidence in your horse and help to keep them nice and relaxed too. The last thing you need is for your horse to pick up on any nervous energy.

5. Remember they’ll always be another day. If things don’t go to plan, remember it’s not the end of the world! It’s not always easy to think like this especially if, like me, you’re really competitive, but keeping things in perspective can help to steady the nerves.

I’d love to hear from you if you have any other top tips for staying calm on show day.

Twitter: @showingbusiness
Instagram: @showbusinessblog

No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...